Sunday, July 25, 2010

The 25 Point Discipline For Day Trader - #7 And #8

I continue my post about The 25 Point Discipline For Day Trader. And below is the 7th and 8th point
 
#7 BE YOURSELF. DON’T TRY TO BE SOMEONE ELSE.
In all of my years as a trader I never traded more than a 50 lot on any individual trade. Sure, I would have liked to be able to trade like colleagues in the pit who were regularly trading 100 or 200 lots per trade. However, I didn't possess the emotional or psychological skill set necessary to trade such big size. That's OK. I knew that my comfort zone was somewhere between 10 and 20 lots per trade. Typically, if I traded more than 20 lots, I would "butcher" the trade. Emotionally I could not handle that size. The trade would inevitably turn into a loser because I could not trade with the same talent level that I possessed with a 10 lot.
Learn to accept your comfort zone as it relates to trade size. You are who you are.


#8 YOU ALWAYS WANT TO BE ABLE TO COME BACK AND PLAY THE NEXT DAY.
Never put yourself in the precarious position of losing more money than you can afford. The worst feeling in the world is wanting to trade and not being able to do so because the equity in your account is too low and your brokerage firm will not allow you to continue unless you submit more funds. I require my students to place daily downside limits on their performance. For example, your daily loss limit can never exceed $500. Once you reach the $500 loss limit, you must turn your PC off and call it a day. You can always come back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment