Monday, July 26, 2010

The 25 Point Discipline For Day Trader - #9, #10 And #11

I continue my post about The 25 Point Discipline For Day Trader. And below is the 9th, 10th and 11st point
 
#9 EARN THE RIGHT TO TRADE BIGGER.
Too many new traders think that because they have $25,000 equity in their trading account that they somehow have the right to trade five or ten e-Mini S&P contracts. This cannot be further from the truth. If you can't trade a one lot successfully, what makes you think that you have the right to trade a 10 lot?
I demand that my students show me a trading profit over the course of ten consecutive trading days trading a one lot only. When they have achieved a profitable ten-day period, in my eyes, they have earned the right to trade a two lot for the next ten trading sessions.
Remember: if you are trading poorly with two lots you must lower your trade size down to a one lot.

#10 GET OUT OF YOUR LOSERS.
You are not a "loser" because you have a losing trade on. You are, however, a loser if you do not get out of the losing trade once you recognize that the trade is no good. It's amazing to me how accurate your gut is as a market indicator. If, in your gut, you have the idea that the trade is no good then it's probably no good. Time to exit.
Every trader has losing trades throughout the session. A typical trade day for me consists of 33 percent losing trades, 33 percent scratches and 33 percent winners. I exit my losers very quickly. They don't cost me much. So, although I have either lost or scratched over two-thirds of my trades for the day, I still go home a winner.

#11 THE FIRST LOSS IS THE BEST LOSS.
Once you come to the realization that your trade is no good it's best to exit immediately.  "It's never a loser until you get out" and "Not to worry, it'll come back" are often said tongue in cheek, by traders in the pit. Once the phrase is stated, it is an affirmation that the trader realizes that the trade is no good, it is not coming back and it is time to exit.

No comments:

Post a Comment